Monday 23 January 2012

The Georgia Boys



I wonder how many people remember the Georgia Boys who used to tour the pubs and clubs of Plymouth in the 1970s?
A friend has just started learning the guitar and it reminded me of when I was a boy and I took guitar lessons with Pete Martin who was one half of the Georgia Boys. The duo were regularly on Westward Television and Pete, being Canadian, did all the voice-overs on local tv adverts and also on Plymouth Sound when they required an American- sounding accent. Pete looked totally the part as a country singer, from his country and western shirts, his slicked backed black hair and his Canadian drawl. Outside his house in Peverell, he had a huge Cadillac which was covered with adverts for the Georgia Boy's many gigs. Pete taught me all the basic chords for the guitar and would sing country tunes for me. I was amazed when I managed to change from an 'A' to an 'E' chord but, even then, it seemed like I would never get the hang of it!
The last time I saw the Georgia Boys was in 1975 when Westward Television had an open day and they were making a guest appearance, that evening, on Westward Diary.
Unfortunately, I have no photos of Pete or the Georgia Boys but here's one of me from the time, complete with my £12 guitar from Woolworth's!
I love our crazy wallpaper! The photo must have been taken in about 1974.
Oh, and by the way, I never did get the hang of playing it!

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating to read as I was going for lessons at that time too!

    ReplyDelete